Monday, May 27, 2019

Log Cabins from Old Cedar (2).

Log Cabins Ready for The Green.

Five of 11 log cabins are finished, a week before GOG1, June 1*.

This week I will work on six more log cabins made from rescued western cedar from Joe Flagler's dock.

Now, Joe's new dock - on the Trent Severn waterway coursing through Fenelon Falls - will not be ready for rescue and turning into birdhouses and various other projects for another 20 - 30 years or more. So, 'til then, I'll just continue to putter around in my workshop, waiting for the inevitable call.

It will likely go like this:

"Hi, Gord? This is Joe. Do you want a load of nicely-weathered cedar 2 by 6s?"

"Well, I still have a dozen planks left from your last dock but I think I can use those up pretty quick. Same problem at the land-fill site as last time, Joe?"

The darker part of the face is rescued pine, as is the wooden spoon perch!

"Yes. Those beggars want to charge me $150 per pickup load of lumber if I drop it off at the landfill. Yipes, it would cost me an arm and a leg to get rid of this big pile of planks."

"Okay. I'll rent a moving truck, like last time, and see you in about a week."

"Thumbs up!" I'll say.

A sturdy pot scraper makes a sturdy perch!

While puttering in the future I will try to come up with a few new designs for rustic birdhouses because I'm running low on wooden spoons.

*GOG1, June 1 is Gathering on the Green, next Saturday, on the Green (behind the old Ed. Centre in Wortley Village).


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment