Thursday, November 8, 2018

Rustic Harrison Specials (1).

This Style Goes Way Back!

[Photo: Last batch 2018; solid houses with side apartment]

The western cedar is pretty rustic, for sure. It came from Joe Flagler's dock repair, Fenelon Falls, five or six years ago, and Joe said it had been his dock for twenty years. And from the look of it, the cedar was old when he bought it - and it aged like fine wine (next to the Trent-Severn Waterway), in my humble opinion.

 Joe's lumber just needs a titch of sanding.

Rustic, rescued, valued western cedar!!

Age-wise, the cedar is quite old, and it's also aromatic, easy to cut and sand. Nails pop through it as nice as you please.

I rescued it (paid for my son to truck it to London) after Joe and son David found it was going to cost them $150 per pickup-truck-load to get rid of it, well over $1,000 total (!), at the town dump. David, in charge of building Joe a new dock, didn't go for that price. So, he called me.

David: Dad, do you want the 2 by 6s from Joe Flagler's dock?

Gord: You've got me interested. Tell me more.

David: There's a lot of it ("150 per truckload!"... ), and I'll bring it down. You just have to pay for the truck. 

Gord (Pause. I thought about 1,000 cedar birdhouses for 5 seconds, no more): I say, yes.

And, several years later, I'm still working on that pile. Log cabins are next up (as a spring project)! 

I had to go back to photo files to find samples of my last rustics. I'll do more of them in the spring as well.

Photo from July 2015:

Link to Harrison Specials 1 for more details.

I'm already looking forward to my first workshop projects for 2019 - a western cedar bonanza.

Rustic, rescued log cabins, from Spring 2018. 

To see more rustic log cabins, please link to The Shop is Open, Already Dusty.

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment