Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Last Library 2018. Part 2.

Heavy Metal in the Workshop.

[Photo: Cedar roof adds stability, permanent shelter and 20 pounds!]

Once the interior shelf was in place, leaving room underneath for 12 - 13 inch-high books, I added a very substantial cedar roof.

The two sides of the roof are each made up of 4 slats of cedar decking. Three of the four slats overlap with neighbouring slats, thereby preventing rain from dripping between the joints.

Cedar slats ready for overlap.

It's a technique I employ on all libraries, something I learned from an old ship builder who once said:

"I's the b'y that builds the boat.
And I's the b'y that sails her.
I's the b'y that catches the fish.
And brings them home to Lizer."

He was a pretty chatty guy - always singin' - but we got along okay.

 Collar and platform, in yellow and blue. Door in red, and
four red arrows and two yellow strips for signage.

Heavy-duty metal to go atop the cedar roof.

More to follow.

Please link to Last Library 2018. Part 1.

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment