Monday, September 9, 2019

A Fireplace Mantelpiece.

Lumber Courtesy of Joe Flagler's Dock

Rescued lumber has many lovely uses!

A few years ago I benefitted from the fact my oldest son managed a difficult task for his next door neighbour in Fenelon Falls, i.e., removing an old cedar dock and building a new model.

When it came time to dispose of the old western cedar he gave me a call:

"It is going to cost a fortune to send it all to the landfill site. Do you want it?"

"Hmmmmm.... yes!" I replied. And after paying for a rental truck (less than the cost of delivery to the dump) I had a pile of priceless lumber.

Three pieces about 5-6 feet long are attached to a hidden slab of newer cedar

And one of the many projects (for which the old cedar was perfect) was a fireplace mantel piece for a young couple in Old South London.

Photos From Along the Way:


 Here the newer slab of 2 by 10-inch cedar is visible




 Everything is attached nicely and ready for stain and varnish





 On the porch, ready for delivery



I've since learned that the mantel pice is well appreciated, fits in nicely with the couple's older model home not too far from where I live.

Thumbs up.

Please link to Bruce Street Mailbox

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment