Saturday, July 13, 2019

Porch Swing Rejuvenation Project (1).

"It's Cedar! And Now It's Mine!!"


Flash Gordon, that's me.

Don't tell my neighbour's, but two minutes after they placed "an old backyard swing" onto their front lawn last week - near the curb for removal - oh, I removed it all right.

At first sight I was just curious. I walked over and took a quick look at the grungy, moss-covered slats and faded metal frame and thought...

"I see a couple of broken bits on the frame. But I've got wood screws. And it's cedar, for sure. It simply needs a good sanding (and I've got a sturdy belt sander) and fresh paint (and I've got lots of stain and varnish and indoor/outdoor latex). And now it's mine."

So, rejuvenation is underway. Might be all done by the end of the weekend.

Photo Reel:

 You can't hurt this sturdy frame with cedar armrests.

 A few screws were properly placed and all were tightened. Sturdy!!

 After lots of sanding (that was the real work) we're ready for stain, etc.

 I got a good workout by stirring up an old bucket of stain.

 The artist in me appreciates the curvy designs as I stir up the pot.

First coat applied before Friday suppertime. Next coat this PM.

So, this new and improved "porch swing" will be done in no time and I'll then be inviting my neighbours over for a comfy sit down. We'll see if they recognize their old piece of lawn furniture.

That should be a bit of fun!

Please link to Gathering on the Green, June 1, 2019.

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment