Monday, July 22, 2019

The Next Great Whale (2).

Low Relief = A Lot of Pine Shavings.

There will be a lot more shavings on the floor before I finish.

I think there is an official name for what I am doing with a set of palm chisels and pine slats. Bas-relief or low-relief sculpture is likely it, in which the picture depicted is part of the wall or material used, and is only a little bit thicker than the background. 

I often say "I'm busy carving a whale,' but because it is not a 3-D whale then 'carving' does not best describe what I'm doing. I'm sketching a picture and removing a lot of wood chips from around the picture, that's what I'm doing. And it takes time.

 Initial sketch of a Boston Bruin, ready to give up the game!

 Lots of work ahead, removing the wood's surface from around the outline.

The Great Whale's mission - secure the Stanley Cup!

The time to sand and paint is at least 3 - 4 days away.

Little by little I will remove a lot of the surface layer of the pine barn board before I give it all a good sanding. Adding to the detail, I will try to carve away the wood around the letter B on the Bruin's sweater - an idea suggested by my 6-year-old neighbour Evan. Then I will add a Toronto Maple Leaf to the side of the whale. Yipes.

Fun times ahead!

Please link to The Next Great Whale (1).

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment