Tuesday, October 15, 2019

The Collection Grows!

I Sure Liked Western Cedar!

Western cedar trim adorns a white pine library

White pine was the least expensive lumber I used in large quantities over the years, except for the truckload of western cedar that came from Joe Flager's dock in Fenelon Falls, and the lumber I rescued from people's curbs... for free.

White pine was easy to paint and red cedar made durable houses so they were often combined, i.e, the red cedar for the box, and white pine (painted) for the roofs. I ended up with journals loaded with new birdhouses designs and measurements, etc. I think anyone who builds birdhouses finds that the variation is endless.

Photos From Along the Way:

 Stock for little libraries piles up quickly

 The base of a library itself almost covers my work bench

 The main box - almost finished, except for weather-proofing the door

 Cedar roof panels overlap to make the interior waterproof


 Painting slats that make up the front door




Another good project: the plans for do-it-yourself birdhouses:








 A Harrison original, pine birdhouse w side apartment






 Red cedar box with a painted pine roof





 Premium western cedar (12 pieces per birdhouse), w interior skeleton









 Hardware for perches




JR model. One of the nicest designs I have seen, in my opinion

More workshop projects to follow.

Please link to Work Was in Progress For Ten Years

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment