Monday, July 13, 2015

Log Cabins

Log Cabins by the Numbers

 Western cedar makes a fine, sturdy cabin for birds

I was given a beautiful western cedar two by four recently and I saw log cabins in my future.

I used to make cabins in groups of six or eight, found the work very fussy, then watched them sit on the shelves and gather dust - relatively speaking - compared to some other models. Now I make them two or three at a time and can do the math very quickly in my head.

Math you say? Yes, I find that log cabins have to go by the numbers, because the size of the logs depends on the size of the base and the size of the triangular faces follow the width of the finished cabin. Measurements of other components must be considered as well.


Gord's 'common cabin' (butt ends stop at the corners, do not extend past the corners like a traditional log cabin):

base - 5" x 5" (when the size of the base changes, some of the other items change too)
logs - 16 pieces 5" long with 3/4" sq. butt; and 16 pieces 6.5" long with same 3/4" sq. butt
triangular front and back faces - 7.5" long and 3.75" high
(The face is wider than the width of the cabin to allow for a 1/2" gap between the cabin walls and roof, on each side, for air flow.)
roof slats - 4 pieces 8" long, 3" wide and 3/8 - 1/2" thick (or 2 @ 8 x 6 x 1/2")

Assembly can be tricky but now that I have the hang of it not many tricks need apply. So, now when I spot four-inch-wide leftovers I think about making a few log cabins.

More to follow.

Link to Tiny Houses 1

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment