Friday, June 7, 2019

Whale Time (1).

Dry Wood and Palm Chisels. And Paint.

[My back deck is big enough for one blue whale.]

Now that I have finished a dozen birdhouses and tidied up the workshop I can give attention to two or three slats of wood that seem to be perfect for a bit of art craft.

A piece of fir from an old shelf - flat, almost knot-free, and easy to chisel - has been repurposed with a pencil sketch of a whale and help from a set of palm chisels. Removing a 1/8th-inch-thick (approx.) layer of fir from all the right places, one small stroke at a time, can be relaxing work. Sanding and painting the resulting surfaces can be the same.

Soon after I took the top photograph I added navy blue trim as a frame. More rescued lumber came in handy and looks pretty good, in my opinion.

["Singing the Blues" is ready for market, so to speak.] 

A dry piece of pine barn board (12 by 24-inches), rough on both sides, also took well to a pencil sketch, this time of a stylish, yet territorial and squared-headed whale. 


 ["Swim, Forrest, Swim!"]

[A few more details are still required.]

I have been spreading the news that my work in the shop will be slowing down as my research and writing efforts gradually increase (related to my Dad's Navy days). 

If another weekly column finds its way into my routine then expect to be informed on this space, or redirected to a new blog related to the new column.

And more whales will follow too, just for the fun of it.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment