Monday, June 17, 2019

Whale Time (6)

Slow But Easy Progress.

 Palm chisels from Lee Valley do most of the real work.

To do smaller versions of the real thing (e.g., whales in relief) all one needs is a pencil for sketching, a clean slab of wood, and a set of palm chisels from a reputable dealer, like Lee Valley. And don't forget the elbow grease.


I will continue the slow but easy progress as time allows. I am spending less time in the workshop now that my first spring sale is over and as writing projects come to the fore. That being said, I will putter around in the shop, hoping to complete a few more 'whales in relief' as the summer temperatures warm up the shop.



With a bit of sanding (and more elbow grease) I was able to clean up the whale after the first coat of light blue paint made it look as if it had been eating paint balls for lunch. The dark blue paint was applied a few days ago and - after sanding again - the sky now needs a second coat.

Then I can add black to the whale, white to the water line and out side of the frame, and primary colours to the wee sailboat.

"Add black to the whale":


Next up: White water line and outer edge. 

Slow but sure will win this race and I bet I'll be done by the end of June, as long as other workshop projects (related to birdhouses and repairs) don't pile up.

More to follow.

Please link to Whale Time (5).

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment