Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Old Cedar Mantelpiece (1).

Remember Joe Flager's Dock?

[Photo: This old lumber is coming indoors]

Years ago I rescued a tonne of old western cedar from the Fenelon Falls landfill site. As a dock was being disassembled it was learned that to dispose of it legally (and, e.g., not throw it into the bushes) would cost a small fortune. A workman (my older son) on site called me in London, told me the situation, and I paid to have it shipped to my lumberyard, i.e., a shady spot under a blue spruce in my backyard.

And now, while making steady progress on three wee libraries, I am also working on a mantelpiece for two friends who live nearby - and I think a few pieces* of the old cedar have really found a great new home.

Two matching planks are glued and clamped together.


Now outside, three slats are glued to exposed faces:






More to follow, e.g., sanding, adding satin finish, snapping last photos before delivery : )

*many pieces have found their way into other projects, e.g., rustic birdhouses

Please link to Upcoming Projects "Workshop Chair and Matching Stool" 2

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment